Everybody is concerned at the present time with their own health, their own safety, together with that of their family and loved ones. We also think of, and value, the courage and dedication of the medical staff, care workers and all other essential workers working on our behalf to fight this disease or to keep the underlying fabric of our society going. We recognise their sacrifices, mourn their loss and grieve with the families affected. Perhaps our own family is also touched.
Where does photography fit in to this? Why is it of any matter now?
Research has found that pursuing your interests benefits both your physical and mental health. When the world is uncertain and anxieties high, involving yourself in one of your favorite activities could be a good way to manage your stress.
Photography is good for the soul. It’s a way for us to keep calm, busy and mentally stimulated during this period, while we’re all asked to stay at home.
Here in a nutshell is where things currently stand with regards the Society’s 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons.
- All events after 15 March 2020 were cancelled, this included the President’s Competition and the AGM.
- The AGM will be rearranged for as soon as practical.
- The scores for the season’s competitions up to and including the People competition are the final scores for the season. Awards will be presented accordingly at the first opportunity.
- There will be no in-person events before December 2020. This means the Inter-Club Print Competition is cancelled for next season.
- There will be an informal online competitions at the beginning of May. If this is successful it will be repeated.
- The committee is looking into ways of staging other online events during the forthcoming months. We have launched a survey to canvas members’ opinions and preferences.
The committee is exploring various options to keep things going over the next few months. We would love to hear from you about what you would like the Society to do, so please take a few moments to complete the survey.
Our first fun online competition is going to take place at the beginning of May. Each member may submit one image and voting will be open to all members. For more information click on the link below.
If you’re on Facebook, don’t forget we have a Facebook page where members can share their images, post links to useful articles and web sites which have grabbed their attention, and have a conversation about topics of interest.
Tell us what you would like the Society to do during this period.
Find details of our fun online competitions here.
Updates about what is going on in the Society.
“Photography is the simplest thing in the world,
but it is incredibly complicated to make it really work.”